Monday 16 September 2013

More Nifty Footwork

New Mustang pegs
Again, I found the standard riding position on my Tiger a bit cramped after an hour or so, and again I was to find that you couldn’t adjust the standard Triumph footpegs. I had replaced the ones on the Sprint ones a year or so ago (details here), and now it looked like I was going to have to do something similar on the Tiger.

Reading a number of forums the general consensus was to fit Mustang footpegs which, while not adjustable, are about 1" lower and can save your knees seizing up. Well, it had to be worth a try. 

The bloke who makes them is located in the US but I found a UK supplier and ordered some on the 'net. A couple of days later I received a parcel which contained a pair of pegs and some fitting instructions.

Original Triumph peg
The footpegs are held on by a small pin with a circlip to prevent it accidentally coming loose, and there is a spring holding them in place. You withdraw the pin and remove the old peg. Then you fit the new peg by simply re-inserting the same pin, and making sure to fit the spring the right way around. In all, I reckon that it took me about five minutes.

New peg, pin, circlip, spring, and old peg
New Mustang peg fitted
And what is it like to ride now? Well, I went for a bit of a run after I fitted them and found that it made quite a difference. It's amazing how such a small change can make a big difference to your comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment