Tuesday 1 January 2019

Ne'erday Traveller


As it’s the first day of a brand-new year I dug out the big Aprilia and took it for a short spin along the coast to see if I couldn’t blow some of the holiday cobwebs away.

‘The Shrine’ by Gardner Molloy
This statue I came across in Prestonpans is new as well, dedicated to the area’s long mining heritage, gone hereabouts as elsewhere. 


I often wonder how those who eulogise such a life would have coped with it themselves. My father’s family were miners, and he wasn’t sorry to have escaped a life down the pits with its dangers and its health hazards. Certainly not a life he wished for his own sons.


*Ne'erday = New Year's Day in Scotland

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for getting out so early in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now all I have to do is keep it up for the next twelve months. What could possibly go wrong? :)

      Delete