Sunday 8 September 2019

Three Countries In Just One Day


Up and packed at dark o'clock ready for the trip to Cairnryan (Scotland) to catch the early ferry to Larne (Northern Ireland) and begin the long haul south to Ballacolla in Co. Laois (Ireland) for the annual meeting with the MZ/Jawa/Royal Enfield lads.


Finally, a use for that rubber wristband that I was handed at a Triumph open-day. The toll on the M1 heading towards Dublin is 1 Euro. This way, I don't have to take my gloves off and rummage around in a pocket looking for the coin.


A friend has been in touch prior to my leaving to say that the forecast was for lots and lots of rain. I decided to take along a little friend to help me pass the time. Well, it saves me having to talk to myself on the journey. That way lies madness. Gave the Customs folk at Larne a bit of an early morning giggle into the bargain.


This small Titanic memorial is set into the stone wall around a farm on the road near to where I was heading. It's such a poignant thing, it wasn't only the great and the good who were caught up in the disaster.

 A selection of the many different bikes which made the trip.












There may have been alcohol involved in the evenings, I couldn't possibly comment.



Sunday morning and, up early and breakfasted, it was time to pack up and head the bike for Larne and the start of the long trip home.


The duck said that he wanted to go racing, but this was as near as I ventured. Can’t be too careful these days. It’s not like they haven’t warned you.


This is the current border between Ireland and the UK. Amazing, isn't it? Twenty minutes later I had my Scottish banknotes refused at a petrol station. No explanation, just that they didn't accept them. I offered them again, and a 3rd time. No? Okay. I put my wallet away, got on the bike and rode off. I await future developments with interest. 


Oh, and I was given an award for being the Furthest Travelled. Again. This is becoming a habit. Many thanks to all concerned and, all being well, I plan on going back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment