Sunday 2 March 2014

For Valour

While I normally post stuff about bikes and cars and what I’ve been up to in my garage, occasionally I'll branch out a bit if I find something interesting. This I found quite remarkable.

Representation of the medal
You can live in a city practically all of your life and still find new things every day. I recently heard about this online and yesterday, before the football, I went looking for it. It's a very simple memorial to three local men, John Simpson Knox (Crimean War), Henry May and James Cleland Richardson (both WW1).

The whole memorial
All three were awarded the Victoria Cross (for those of you in the US, think Medal of Honor) for heroism and their names are etched on the pavement at Bridgeton Cross, Glasgow, just opposite the local railway station.

Only 1,357 medals have ever been awarded, and three of the recipients came from this one small area in Glasgow.
   
Bridgeton Cross
I wonder how many people going about their daily lives actually notice that it is there or give it a seconds thought?


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mike, valor doesn't inspire the youth of today but those of us who remember salute those who went above and beyond for their fellow man against all odds, Thank you :)

    The poem is one of my favourites. And I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep And miles to go before I sleep..

    Great idea Mike, I'll have to get off the couch and give it a go myself. There are lots of interesting things in this old town, young by European standards but it's still the wild west...

    ReplyDelete