Sunday 3 February 2019

Colder Than A ....


After a short run on the bike on the first day of the new year I haven’t been back out since. It’s simply been too cold to actually enjoy it.


In years gone by that wouldn’t even have been a consideration. I didn’t have a car so would have taken the bike to work regardless of weather conditions. I look back on some of those trips with a quiet horror. Slipping and sliding around frozen snow-covered streets on dark winter mornings.

Older now, and owning a car, I see no reason to risk life and limb riding on icy roads if I don’t have to. Perhaps I’m growing up, perhaps I’ve just gone soft over the years? Take your pick.

I do have a number of chores to do in the shed, but, here too, it’s been too cold. Even with a heater on to warm the atmosphere up to a tolerable level just touching bare metal with your hands is actually painful.

As a result, I’ve spent a good few weeks planning trips and looking at ferry connections instead, hoping for warmer days and easier conditions. More details as and when they come to fruition.

How are the rest of you getting on?

1 comment:

  1. As we get older we get wiser, sure probably softer too, but I'd like to think wiser. We don't heal as quick the older we get so our behavior isn't as risky.

    Our weather has been pretty mellow this year. Woke up to an inch of snow on Monday but it melted by the end of the day. It's the gravel on the roads that will get you after that.

    ReplyDelete