Tuesday 29 March 2022

Under Foreign Skies

Maybe because of the coastal defences that I mention in an earlier post, war was on my mind. 

Which might explain why I felt inclined to stop off at a small, neat cemetery on a back road near Dirleton in East Lothian that I don’t remember seeing before. 

The sign outside read “Commonwealth War Graves Commission”.

Photo: Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Inside, amongst the normal mix of headstones of local people you’ll find a neat row of 23 headstones for servicemen from the British Commonwealth who died during WWII and are buried far from home.

Each is marked with the arm of service of the deceased, their name and some relevant details. Unsurprisingly most were navy and air force personnel, as we are on the coast here and there were wartime Royal Air Force (RAF) airfields nearby. 

They were all so young, they range from 19 to 26 years old, an age at which I was finishing University and trying to work out what to do with my life. These lads never got that chance.


For more information on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission click the LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment