Sunday 12 June 2011

Gator Territory

With all of the bodywork removed the fork legs were looking a bit exposed, so I decided to see if I could find some rubber gaiters to cover them up a bit. 

A useful site if you're contemplating this, or if you want to fit different forks for whatever reason, is http://scandalon.com/2009/06/motorcycle-fork-diameter-chart This lists machines based on their fork diameter. 

I eventually sourced a set of pattern gaiters intended for a modern Hinckley Triumph Bonneville. These came complete with a set of thin metal clips (the dark coloured ones at the top of the picture), which I thought were a bit flimsy. So I acquired a set of Moto Guzzi wire clips (the ones at the bottom of the picture) which are a lot more substantial.


When fitting them you have to take the forks off to get them over the fork legs, which is a bit of a chore, but as luck would have it, I had to remove the forks anyway to get the headlight brackets onto them (see earlier post), so killing two birds with one stone.


With the forks replaced, the wire clips hold the top of the gaiters and I used cable ties for the bottom. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the end result, and think that they look made for the bike.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment